Printed collateral, direct mail, and other printed marketing communications remain the bedrock of successful marketing campaigns, but their “look” is changing.
Consumers today, especially Millennials, are drawn to marketing touches that produce an experience. They love the novelty of print, and their ability to handle a tangible, quality piece stands out in the crush of electronic messaging. But not just any print will do. It has to be intriguing. This is where foil stamping comes in. Sure foil stamping costs more, but it can pay great dividends.
There are two types of foil stamping: hot stamping and cold foil transfer. Both create an elegant, standout look that says, “You matter enough to go the extra mile.”
Hot stamping is used to create the look of richness, quality, and elegance. In this process, the foil is applied to the substrate under the heat and pressure of a hot die. The process costs more than cold foil transfer but creates extremely precise images.
Cold foil transfer uses a photopolymer printing plate to transfer the substrate. The stock and the film are placed under light pressure between the plate and an aluminum roller and exposed to ultraviolet light to cure and bond the foil in the image area. The process costs less than hot foil stamping, but the images are less precise.
Here are a few other important things to know about foil stamping:
- Comes in a wide range of colors, both metallic and nonmetallic.
- Comes in both gloss and matte versions.
- Available in special effects versions, including marble, wood grain, and leather, as well as in holographic versions.
- Most foil stamping is done over smooth stocks, but it can also be applied to textured stocks. When this happens, it will take on some of the texture of the stock beneath it. Foil stamping can also be combined with embossing to create a raised image.
- Because foil is opaque, it does not change color regardless of the substrate on which it is used. This makes it great for use on darker and colored papers.
Foil stamping can offer tremendous benefits for the right projects and really creates breakthrough effects for the right audiences. Talk to us about when and where foil stamping will work for you.